First things first, let’s answer the question you obviously want to know the answer to… what is a goji? Well, that’s simple! The goji berry is a super-duper superhero superfood. A greatly underrated superfood at that but well appreciated in ancient Chinese medicine.
Goji berries are normally sold dried and are tiny and wrinkly in appearance, resembling little red raisins. By fruit standards they’re pretty ugly! The real beauty of the goji, is the goodness contained inside the berry. So here for you now, the top 5 things that make the goji berry a super-duper superhero superfood:
- Like other superfoods it is packed full of antioxidants. Antioxidants literally slow down the ageing process, helping keep wrinkles at bay and allowing you to lie about your age and get away with it. What makes the goji berry so special compared to other superfoods packed with antioxidants is that it packs in more antioxidants than the other superfoods e.g. it contains 5 x the antioxidant power of blueberries.
- The goji berry has many medicinal properties, as exploited by many ancient Chinese remedies and can help kidney and liver problems as eye problems, goji strain skin problems, allergies, insomnia, chronic liver disease, diabetes and cancer. (Of course do not substitute medication for serious illness with goji berries, merely use them as a preventative measure or along side conventional medicine to give your body a natural helping hand).
- The third super thing about this superfood is that it breaks down fats stored in the liver because is contains the right digestive enzymes betanine which can make you calmer, improve your memory, and help with muscle growth.
- They may not be pretty but there’s still something a little bit seductive about them. It is a Chinese belief that the goji is a little bit of an aphrodisiac, promoting virility and sexual health. If that doesn’t leave you screaming for more goji’s then nothing else will.
- Finally, contained within goji berries are phytochemicals which help to reduce blood pressure. High blood pressure can strain your heart and contribute to heart disease, so be good to your heart and have a goji. Phytochemicals are also wonderful at preventing cervical cancer, the second most common cancer in women under 35, so let goji’s love your cervix too.